A Small-town in Texas, at a high school where football is like a religion, is the premise for a lot of the football movies out there today. The head coach is defied, and the 16-18 year old boys that are playing in the game carry the hopes and dreams of the small-town on their shoulders. ‘Varsity Blues’ stars Paul Walker as the head quarter back that finds himself hurt the first play of the season. James Van Der Beek is the backup that has the grueling task of stepping up to the plate and fulfilling the dreams of his parents and the head coach, played by Jon Voight. This is just one of the many great football movies that you should watch before this weekend’s Super Bowl between the New York Giants, and the New England Patriots. Blockbuster @Home brings you some other great choices, which are sure to get you pumped for the game.
- ‘The Blind Side (2009)’: A homeless teen gets adopted and taken in by a well to do family. This family nurtures him and eventually it is discovered that he has amazing athletic ability. This story chronicles the life of Michael Oher as he is welcomed into the home of a conservative suburban family and grows into a great athlete that was projected to be the first pick in the NFL Draft.
- ‘The Tillman Story (2002)’: following the terrorist attacks of 9/11, Pat Tillman a defensive back with the Arizona Cardinals, joined the United States Army, believing that he had a duty to serve for his country in their time of need. Even though he had just signed a lucrative contract to play professional football, Tillman served a tour of duty in Iraq and was on patrol in Afghanistan when he was tragically killed in battle. When word spread about the unfortunate passing of Tillman, the Army issued a press release declaring he had been shot down while trying to heroically block the fire of a band of Taliban insurgents. The story sounded suspicious to his family and after researching and delving deeper into the investigation it is discovered that he was actually killed due to friendly fire. This story follows the family as they try to uncover and find out what really happened and why it was covered up.
- ‘NFL: Top 10: NFL’s Greatest Players (2011)’: This documentary profiles the ten greatest players in pro football history.
- ‘NFL: Super Bowl XLV Champions- Green Bay Packers’: Still reeling from the Packers not making the Super Bowl? Relive the highlights of the 45th, a classic matchup between the Steelers and the Packers.
- ‘Manning vs. Manning’: Both Eli and Peyton Manning have led a team to a Super Bowl victories. In honor of Eli Manning playing in this year’s Super Bowl, Blockbuster is previewing ‘Manning vs. Manning’. This documentary will highlight the brother’s college careers.
- ‘Friday Night Lights (Season 2)’: This is the critically acclaimed series inspired by the best-selling book and hit film, ‘Friday Night Lights’ provides a heartfelt look into the lives of families, friends and players in a small Texas town.
Gear up for the game and watch these great Football movies brought to you by Blockbuster @Home. To learn more about adding Blockbuster @Home to your list of satellite TV programming services visit us at DISH-Systems.com or call 866-989-3474 or browse DISH Network NFL RedZone and other packages. Who do you think will win this year’s Super Bowl?