The Hollywood Foreign Press has announced today that Ricky Gervais will be hosting the Golden Globe Awards ceremony for the third consecutive year. This may come as a surprise, due to the surprising turn his last hosting opportunity took. At the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn.’s annual awards show, his jabs at celebrities from Robert Downey Jr. to the HFPA’s president sparked debate about whether his jokes went too far or were just the right amount of poking fun at Hollywood’s rich and famous. NBC will, as is tradition, broadcast the comparatively fast-and-loose awards ceremony on January 15, 2012. After being criticized for an unexpectedly bland performance during his first turn as Globes host, so he drew fire the second time around by taking volatile shots at, A-listers such as Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp’s performances in ‘The Tourist.’ Here are just a few of the zingers from his second hosting gig:
- On Scientologists, as compared with characters in ‘I Love You, Phillip Morris’: “Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay, so the complete opposite of some famous Scientologists.”
- Introducing Downey: “Many of you in his room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford Clinic and Los Angeles County jail.”
- On HFPA President Philip Berk: “I just had to help him off the toilet and pop his teeth in! It was messy.”
- On Charlie Sheen: “It’s going to be a night of partying and heavy-drinking. Or as Charlie Sheen calls it, ‘breakfast.’”
- Introducing Bruce Willis: “Please welcome Ashton Kutcher’s dad.”
- On the Golden Globe-nominated ‘The Tourist’: “It was a big year for 3-D movies…It seems like everything this year was three-dimensional. Except the characters in ‘The Tourist.’”
These are just a few of the sarcastic comments Gervais hurled toward his audience. Tune in January 15th, 2012 on NBC to see what Ricky Gervais has in store for this year. To learn more about your satellite TV programming package, visit us at DISH-Systems or call (866)989-3474.